Research Director at the Centre for Africa-China Studies Dr Emmanuel Matambo says Southern African Development Community (SADC) leaders should urge the Mozambican government to be accountable for its provision of public goods and services – especially for the youth in the north of the country.
This follows the SADC’s Double Troika Summit in which leaders resolved to direct immediate technical deployment to Mozambique to aid its fight against the insurgency in its northern Cabo Delgado region.
The meeting was convened to discuss the ongoing security challenges after dozens of people were killed when militants attacked a hotel in the coastal town of Palma last month.
#SADC Double Troika Summit condemns acts of terrorism against innocent civilians, women & children in #CaboDelgado, Mozambique & affirmed that such heinous attacks cannot be allowed to continue without a proportionate regional response. Read more: https://t.co/pLilGCsqj7 pic.twitter.com/xYZce3kWnX
— SADC Secretariat (@SADC_News) April 8, 2021
“One of the things that is prompting the spread of the group that is carrying out most of the attacks is the disenchantment of the youth, especially in the northern parts of Mozambique. This dates back to 2014, some of them were involved in material mining and were forced to close their operations because international giants, such as Total, are now carrying out all these offshore natural gas operations,” says Matambo.
He says SADC leaders are afraid of confronting the Mozambican government regarding its own provision of public goods and services.
Matambo says SADC just communicates the undertakings that are condemnatory and lack substance because they are afraid of calling out the Mozambican government.
Unpacking latest developments in Mozambique with Sophie Mokoena: